Friday, July 18, 2008

My Favorite Light



"I've found you've got to look back at the old things and see them in a new light"
-John Coltrane-

Indeed I'm aware that he was talking about his renown cover of Rodger and Hammerstein's My Favorite Things, which has been my ultimate favorite song (in any covers) since i was a child. But, as for me, it has rang true for a different case.

I did see that old "thing" since yonks ago. A remarkably comfortable something that was always there. But then, one day, i spotted it differently. Luminously, a familiar yet nouveau
light fell upon the way it had used to be perceived. A bizarre movement struck me inside. Shaking my heart beyond belief. Confused. Scared. Reluctant. In denial. Then...recollection of archaic scenes & images came rushing back. Like pieces of random puzzles being thrown at you, bluntly penetrating your mind. But i finally gave in. Taking it all in gladly. Bravely taking a seat. Picking up the new lens to embrace them all. Positioning myself for a strange impulsive ride. Impulsive? me? I am never famous of being one. It was something i had never had the skill to do so. Surreal is the word for this beckoning urge.

I've looked back at that certain old thing and see it in a new light.
I still have. That "thing" is certainly one of my favorite things these days, a thing to think about (and pursue) indeed...
I'm grateful for the light. It's not just any new light. Peculiar yet familiar.

The light has melted the coldness. U
nshackling the locked frozen box of toughness, as if a gatekeeper opening a portal to the secret heart. Bestowing a dash of calescent touch upon it. Assisting to fathom the long-missing pieces of warmth. Bringing out a massive wave of fervent bloom. Letting it flowing briskly in tranquility, to be embraced and be absorbed voluntarily.

The light is now cherished. No matter how difficult it is. No matter how complicated it has been or might be. No matter what it would bring.
So be it...

Thank you, God. For bringing back and diffusing the spring in me. For breaking the protected rigidity and ceasing the very long freezing winter of my heart.
Thank you, Coltrane.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

long awaited destiny

if i am the light then you are a star
the brightest one in the sky
forever shinning from a far

Dare i reach for you
while you show me the way?

If i am the warmth then you are the fire
the spark of undying energy
forever fuels my burning desire

Dare I hold you in my arms
melt the coldness away?

if you should fall then this is fate
the long awaited destiny
forever embraced no matter how late

Dare you fall for me
ask me to stay?

PS: cant wait for our next face to face conversation